Structural organization and functional analysis of compound response in 3D human iPSC-derived cardiac tri-culture microtissues
Tri-culture model provides a novel tool for evaluation of functional and morphological effects on cardiac cells.
Recent publications show that tri-cellular co-culture microtissues of cardiomyocytes, endothelial cells and cardiac fibroblasts that are all derived from human iPSC enhance the maturation and functional activity of cells compared to 2D cardiomyocytes and thus more closely mimics actual heart physiology.
In this application note, we highlight the utility and biological relevance of using iPSC-derived cell types in 3D micro-tissues as a promising model for measuring compound effects on human cardiac tissues in a high-throughput format.
Learn more about the systems behind the methods:
FLIPR Penta High-Throughput Cellular Screening System
High-throughput kinetic screening for toxicology and lead compound identification
Powered by a new, optional high-speed EMCCD camera and the new Peak Pro 2 software module, the new FLIPR® Penta High-Throughput Cellular Screening System allows you to measure and analyze peaks of human-derived induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs), differentiated into cardiomyocytes and neurons, up to 100 times per second and quickly cherry pick events such as Early Afterdepolarization-like events (EAD-like events), fibrillation, and irregular beating.
Since its introduction, the system has developed a reputation for reliability and ease of use. The system can be configured based on library size, detection mode, screening format, assay, and target, making the transition from assay development to lead optimization a seamless process.
ImageXpress Micro Confocal system
High-content confocal imaging solution with proprietary spinning disk technology and water objective options
- Ideal for 3D organoid and spheroid imaging
- Proprietary AgileOptix™ spinning disk technology
- QuickID reduces image acquisition time and data storage requirements
- Water immersion objectives enhance resolution, sensitivity and throughput of complex
- Lasers and deep tissue confocal disk provide deeper penetration into 3D samples
- 3D volumetric analysis
ScreenWorks Software with customizable protocols and data analysis for high-throughput kinetic assays
The FLIPR Penta system utilizes our ScreenWorks Software to define and run experimental protocols. Using a drag-and-drop interface, protocols can be easily set up to include:
- Standard fluorescent or luminescent read modes or optional aequorin luminescence detection
- Complex quadrant, multiple aspirations or multiple dispensing liquid handling
- Single or ratiometric kinetic cell-based reading
- Tip washing with up to two solvents
- Cell suspension delivery with automatable cleaning protocols
- Simple-to-create automation protocols
- Optional Peak Pro software module with easy signal oscillation anomaly detection
MetaXpress software for ImageXpress high-content imaging systems
Multi-level analysis tools for a wide range of applications
- Meet high throughput requirements with a scalable, streamlined workflow
- Adapt your analysis tools to tackle your toughest problems, including 3D analysis
- Schedule automatic data transfer between third-party hardware sources and secure database
- Set up hundreds of routinely used HCS assays using MetaXpress software modules
- Export data to IN Carta software, leveraging intuitive, modern machine learning